Essay Writing Tips for XAT
- Subject knowledge
- Clarity of thought
- Flow of ideas
- Correct usage of grammar
- Correct usage of words
- A neat hand-writing
How should you write a XAT essay?
- Always write in paragraphs
- It’s not a natural but learned skill
- Different paragraphs express different ideas that contribute to the main idea
- A paragraph should ideally contain :
- Topic Sentence: it is the 1st sentence expressing the main idea of the paragraph- Say what you are going to say
- Supporting Sentences: they expand the main idea expressed in the topic sentence- Say it
- Concluding Sentence: rounding off what has been said or a logical conclusion of the idea in the topic sentence- Say it again!!!
Precautions while writing XAT essay?
- Follow a flow of paragraphs
- Always let the first paragraph be an introduction to the subject matter
- Expansion/ support/ refutation of the idea must follow in subsequent paragraphs
- The last paragraph must have a conclusion of the main idea
- There could be two forms of writing- Deductive and Inductive
- You should have good knowledge of the topic to write about
- Read the directions carefully
- Recognize action words- discuss, evaluate, argue, comment etc.
- Focus on the issue rather than peripheries
- Choose words with precise meanings; avoid ambiguity
- Do not use Jargon
- Do not use Slang
- Do not use Cliché
- Do not use Abbreviations
- Do not use Quotations without acknowledgments
- Make tentative statements; avoid definitive statements- it leaves a scope for further discussion
Where to prepare for XAT essay ?
- Regular reading of: Newspaper editorials, News papers, News websites & Non-fiction article etc
- Discussions with friends and family
- Informational thinking
XAT Essay topics from XAT-1999 to XAT-2010
Source: Written by experts of CL on Career Launcher’s CAT Blog. If you want to know more then go CL’s Blog.