1) Agriculture growth rate target for Tenth Plan (2002-2007) is 4%,but achived was
merely 1.8%. target for 11th plan is again 4%.
2) Agriculture sector provides employment to 58.4% of country’s workforce and is
the single largest private sector occupation.
3) India holds first position in the world in the production of sugarcane and sugar,
Brazil closely follow us and many times its production is more than ours. Brazil is
also largest producer of Ethanol.
4) Cashew nuts assume an important place in the Indian Economy. India produces
45% of the global production of cashew. India is the largest producer, processor,
consumer & exporter of cashew in the world.
5) India contributes about 13% to the world vegetable production and occupies first
rank in the production of Cauliflower, second in onion and third in cabbage in the
6) India’s share in the world production of mango is about 54%.
7) India occupies the first rank in banana production of 1.16 Million tones.
8 ) Animal husbandry output constitutes about 30% of the country’s agriculture
9) U.P. is the highest wheat producing state, Punjab and Haryana hold 2nd & 3rd
10) Rice is the main food crop in India. The highest rice producing State is West
Bengal, U.P & Punjab are 2nd & 3rd respectively.
11) The highest pulses & Soyabean producing state is Madhya Pradesh.
12) The highest cereals producing state is Maharashtra.
13) India is the largest producer & consumer of tea in the world and accounts for
around 27% of world production and 13% of world trade.
14) Karnataka, which is the largest producer of coffee in the country, accounts for
56.5% of total coffee production in India. India ranks sixth in the world coffee
15) Kerela is the main rubber producing state, which produces 90% of the rubber in
the country and accounts for over 85% of the area under cultivation.
16) India is the largest Milk producing country in the world.
17) India is the third highest tobacco producing country in the world.
18) India ranked first in production of vegetable in the world. Besides India is the
second largest producer of fruits in the world.
19) The Horticulture sector contributed 28% of GDP in agriculture.
Update: IRMA GK 2010 Ebooks are present in our download box. Click here
- GENERAL KNOWLEDGE FOR FORTHCOMMING EXAMINATION
- Some Important Awards (SNAP GK)
- IRMA Gk Material
- Indus Valley Civilization
- India Year Book for GK 2008